Athina Vitopoulou studied architecture at the School of Architecture, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki. She pursued post-graduate studies in theories and mechanisms of architectural and urban design in Paris (DEA Projet architectural et urbain: théories et dispositifs, Ecoles d'Architecture de Paris-Belleville, Paris-La Villette, Paris-Villemin, Versailles και Institut Français d'Urbanisme-Université Paris 8). She holds a PhD in History and Cultures from the Ecole des Hautes Etudes en Sciences Sociales, Paris. Her PhD research, with the title «Mutations foncières et urbaines pour la production des espaces et équipements public dans la ville grecque moderne. Les propriétés de l’Armée et de l’Université et la formation de l’espace urbain de Thessalonique de 1912 jusqu’à nos jours», was awarded the “Grand Prix de Thèse sur la Ville 2011”. During her studies, she won several scholarships. She also won two postdoctoral fellowships (AUTh and Foundation for Education and European Culture).
She has a significant experience in urban design and planning practice, while she has participated as a team member in several architectural competitions. Since 2018 she is a member of GEOHOROS SA. She has developed a rich research and writing activity on issues related to the theory and practice of sustainable urban design and planning, urban sustainability and resilience, environmental planning, sustainable urban mobility, urban policies, land policies, mechanisms and processes of urban space production, urban history and history of urban planning, the institutional framework of spatial planning, the protection and enhancement of urban cultural heritage. She has participated in national and European research programs; she has presented her work in many national and international conferences, workshops and seminars and has published in scientific journals, conference proceedings and collective works. She has also been a member of organizing and scientific committees of conferences, symposia and workshops and has participated in the organization, documentation, and design of architectural exhibitions. From 2012 to 2015 she has been a founding member of the research group initiative "City + Crisis" (School of Architecture, AUTh). Since 2018 she is a founding member of the interdepartmental research group "City_ Space_ Flux" (School of Architecture and School of Spatial Planning and Development, AUTh), while since 2021 she also participates in the “Research Unit for the South European Cities” of the Department of Urban and Regional Planning and Development of the School of Architecture AUTh.
Since 2002, she has a continuous and rich teaching activity as an adjunct faculty member (lecturer and assistant professor) at various universities in undergraduate and postgraduate level (AUTh, Hellenic Open University, University of Cyprus, Technological Educational Institute of Central Macedonia). She has taught urban analysis, urban design and planning, environmental urban design, environmental urban and transport planning, landscape design, urban history, history and theory of urban planning, history of art, architecture and urban planning, institutional framework of urban planning, introduction to architectural design. She has also supervised a great number of research and project diploma theses in undergraduate and postgraduate programs. Since 2018 she is an assistant professor at the School of Architecture AUTh.
Her research interests intersect different scales and various aspects and approaches of the urban phenomenon, aiming at an holistic view of urban space design and planning:
- Theories and practices of sustainable urban design and planning
- Evolution of theories and approaches on urban space design and development
- Urban morphology, historical evolution and transformations of European and Greek cities
- Urban strategies, urban regeneration/revitalization policies and projects
- Rehabilitation and revitalization of historical centers and degraded urban areas, protection and enhancement of urban cultural heritage
- Sustainable urban and transport planning models, sustainable urban mobility
- Environmental design and planning
- Socio-economic crisis, climate change and urban resilience
- Socio-spatial impacts of urban interventions
- Land policies, institutional framework of spatial planning
- Mechanisms and processes of urban space design/planning and production, stakeholders’ involvement and action.
- Papagiannakis A., Vitopoulou A., Yiannakou A. (2020). Transit-Oriented Development in the Southern European city of Thessaloniki introducing urban railway: typology and implementation issues. European Planning Studies. Published online: 10 Feb 2020. Available at: https://doi.org/10.1080/09654313.2020.1724267
- Rafail I., Vitopoulou A. (2020). Climate change and insular urban coastal areas in the Mediterranean: resilience strategies and design tools. The case of Thassos town, Greece. In Zervas E. (ed.), Proceedings of the 1st International Conference on Environmental Design (ICED 2020), Laboratory of Technology and Policy of Energy and Environment (LATPEE), Hellenic Open University, October 24-25, Athens, pp. 327-334.
- Vitopoulou A. (2020). Urban regeneration and public property management policies: approaches and strategies. In Theodoridou L., Daniil M., Galanis A.(eds), Proceedings of the two-day Built environment re-visited: Tools-Interventions-Proposals, Department of Civil Engineering, International Hellenic University, Serres, 5-6 December 2019, pp. 229-242 (in Greek).
- Vitopoulou A. (2020). In quest of interdisciplinarity in urban space planning and design. In Athanasiadou E., Mavridou A., Papadopoulou A. (eds), Implementation of the European Landscape Convention. Arising obligations for projects and works. Symposium proceedings, Interdepartmental Program of Post-Graduate programme in Landscape Architecture, School of Architecture and School of Agriculture, AUTh, Thessaloniki, 11-12 April 2019. Thessaloniki: Ziti, pp. 161-166 (in Greek).
- Tsakalidou V., Vitopoulou A. (2019, under publication). From the “escape place” to the “hybrid city”: introducing beginners into architectural design. In conference proceedings TFYD 2019. Initiations – Practices of Teaching 1st Year Design in Architecture, Nicosia 23-25 October 2019, Department of Architecture, University of Cyprus.
- Avdelidi K., Vitopoulou A., Gemenetzi G., Gortzos K. (2019). Urban design and public space redevelopment: Proposals to develop a framework for assessing the social impact of urban design interventions. In DEFNER A.M., SKAGIANNIS P., RODAKINIAS P., PSATHA E. (eds.), Contemporary Issues on Urban Planning, Regional Planning and Development. A collection of texts from the 5th Panhellenic Conference on Urban Planning and Regional Planning and Development. Volos: Department of Planning and Regional Development, University of Thessaly, pp. 158-169 (in Greek).
- Vitopoulou A., Vlastou F. (2018). Necessity, acceptance and perspectives of urban interventions: perceptions and experiences of public bodies and In Avdelidi K. (ed.), Empirical investigation for the social impacts of urban design interventions. Studies - Research reports no 20. Athens: National Center for Social Research, pp. 219-295 (in Greek).
- Vitopoulou A. (2018). Citizens’ activity and participation in the design and upgrading of public space. In Avdelidi K. (ed.), Empirical investigation for the social impacts of urban design interventions. Studies - Research reports no 20. Athens: National Center for Social Research, pp. 353-369 (in Greek).
- Avdelidi K., Vitopoulou A., Gemenetzi G., Gortzos K. (2018).Proposals to develop a framework for assessing the social impact of urban design interventions. In Avdelidi K. (ed.), Empirical investigation for the social impacts of urban design interventions. Studies - Research reports no 20. Athens: National Center for Social Research, 395-408 (in Greek).
- Vitopoulou A., Yiannakou A. (2018). Public land policy and urban planning in Greece: Diachronic continuities and abrupt reversals in a context of crisis. European Urban and Regional Studies. European Urban and Regional Studies. Epub ahead of print 10 December. Διαθέσιμο στο: https://doi.org/10.1177/0969776418811894
- Vitopoulou A. (2018). Institutional landowners and urban transformations in Thessaloniki: assessment, challenges and prospects. Paper presented at the International Interdisciplinary Conference “City Under Construction: Plans, Processes and Practices for Thessaloniki”, 12-13 October 2018. Thessaloniki: School of Architecture, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (in Greek).
- Vitopoulou A., Yerolympos (2018). Urbanism and reform. The second life of the Black sea port cities, 1700-1920. Paper presented in 14th International Conference on Urban History “Urban Renewal and Resilience. Cities in Comparative Perspective”, European Association of Urban Historians, Rome 29 August-1 September 2018.
- Avdelidi A., Vitopoulou A. (2018, under publication). Social mix, current uses and identities of 4 regenerated central squares in Athens through users’ perception, in conference proceedings AESOP Public Spaces and Urban Cultures thematic meeting, Nicosia 16th -18th May 2018.
- Avdelidi K., Vitopoulou A., Gemenetzi G., Gortzos K., Vlastou F., Massou E. (2017). Issues on urban design of public space: social and spatial identifications in the case of 4 central squares in Athens. In GOSPONDINI A. (ed.), Proceedings of the International Conference on Changing Cities III: Spatial, Design, Landscape & Socio-Economic dimensions, Syros-Delos-Mykonos Islands, 26-30 June 2017. Thessaloniki: Grafima Publications, pp. 194-207.
- Avdelidi K., Gemenetzi G., Vitopoulou A., Massou E., Vlastou F., Gortzos K. (2017). Assessment of social and spatial effects of urban design in Athens: insights for a methodological approach. In GOSPONDINI A. (ed.), Proceedings of the International Conference on Changing Cities III: Spatial, Design, Landscape & Socio-Economic dimensions, Syros-Delos-Mykonos Islands, 26-30 June 2017. Thessaloniki: Grafima Publications, pp. 194-207, pp. 977-986.
- Petropoulou K. (Ch.), Vitopoulou A., Tsavdaroglou H. (eds.) (2016). Urban and Regional Social Movements, e-book. Research Group Aorates Poleis. Available at: https://aoratespoleis.files.wordpress.com/2016/03/ursm.pdf
- Papagiannakis A., Vitopoulou A. (2015). Un urban strategy in time of crisis: Mobility management and low-cost public space design, Spatium, no 33, pp. 1-7.
- Colonas V., Vitopoulou A., Yerolympos A. (2015). Black sea port cities. Urban planning and architecture, 18th-20th century [e-book], Black Sea History vol. VI. Ionian University: “Black Sea and Port Cities from the 18th to the 20th centuries. Development, Convergence and Interconnections to the World Economy, Thales programme.
- Kafkalas G., Vitopoulou A., Gemenetzi G., Yiannakou A., Tasopoulou A. (2015). Sustainable cities: adaptation and resilience in times of crisis, [e-book]. Athens: Association of Greek Academic Libraries. Available at: http://hdl.handle.net/11419/2227 (in Greek).
- Vitopoulou A., Yerolympos A., Tournikiotis P. (eds.) (2015). Planning ideals of the Modern Movement and the Greek city, The notebooks of the Modern Movement, no 5 (proceedings of the 5th Conference of the Greek DOCOMOMO, Thessaloniki 3-4 June 2010). Athens: Futura (in Greek).
- Anastassiadis A., Vitopoulou A. (2015). Modern Movement, land ownership and urban tissue: possibilities of urban regeneration projects in the centre of Thessaloniki, in Vitopoulou A., Yerolympos A., Tournikiotis P. (eds.), Planning ideals of the Modern Movement and the Greek city, The notebooks of the Modern Movement, no 5 (proceedings of the 5th Conference of the Greek DOCOMOMO, Thessaloniki 3-4 June 2010). Athens: Futura, pp. 265-279 (in Greek).
- Vitopoulou A. (2014). Urban design and public space in Thessaloniki from the 1980’s until today: forms, functions and production processes. Post-doc research report. Thessaloniki: Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (in Greek).
- Athanassiou E., Vitopoulou A., Yerolympos A., Papagiannakis A., Christodoulou Ch. (2012). From iconic to pragmatic: praxis of urban design for everyday life. In Proceedings of the 2nd National Conference on Planning and Regional Development, Faculty of Engineering, University of Thessaly, Volos 27-30 September 2012, pp. 651-656 (in CD-rom) (in Greek).
- AggelopoulouD.V., VitopoulouA., YiannakouA., Bartzokas-TsiomprasA. (2012). Urban regeneration and place marketing: Looking for the outward identity of Thessaloniki through an urban regeneration project in the west entrance area. In Defner A., Karachalis N. (eds.), Place Marketing & Branding Τόπου: The International Experience and the Greek Reality. Volos: Editions of the University of Thessaly, pp. 133-148 (in Greek).
- Vitopoulou A., Yerolympos A. (2010). Reuse of former industrial sites: planning approaches and implementation issues. In Volos City History and Documentation Center (ed.), The end of the Giants. Industrial heritage and urban transformations, Proceedings of the 5th Scientific Meeting of the International Commission for the Conservation of Industrial Heritage TICCIH – Greek Section, Volos, 22-25 November 2007, pp. 133-149 (in Greek).
- Karalosta M., Vitopoulou A. (2009). Reuse strategies for former military sites: approaches of sustainable planning and implementation. The case of Germany. In Proceedings of the 2nd National Conference on Planning and Regional Development. Volos: Thessaly University Press, vol. II, pp. 611-619 (in Greek).
- Kafkoula K., Vitopoulou A. (2009). Visionaries versus politicians: rejecting the professional knowledge in building the Greek post-war cities. In E. Cogato-Lanza & P. Bonifazio (Επιμ.), Les experts de la Reconstruction / Gli Esperti della riconstruzione. Genève: MetisPresses, pp. 49-58. Paper initially presented in the 6th International Conference on Urban History “Power, Knowledge and Society in the City”, European Association of Urban Historians, Edinburg, 4-7 September 2002.
- Vitopoulou A. (2008). Land transfers and public space production in the modern Greek city. In Conference Proceedings Transformations of the Greek City. Socialist theory, perspectives and everyday practice. Athens: New Architecture Movement, May 9-11, 2003, pp. 237-250.
- Αnaniadou-Tzimopoulou M., Yerolympos A., Vitopoulou A. (2007). L’espace public et le rôle de la place dans la ville grecque moderne. Evolution historique et enjeux contemporains. Etudes balkaniques. Cahiers Pierre Belon, L’espace public dans le Sud-Est européen, 14, pp. 25-52. Paris: Ed. De Boccard.
- Yerolympos A., Vitopoulou A. (2006). Salonicco∙ che curva come un arco attorno al mare materno / Thessaloniki∙ curving like a bow around the maternal sea. In D’Amato Gurrrieri C. (ed.), Città di Pietra (Cities of Stone), bilingual catalog of the side exhibition of the 10th International Architecture Exhibition Biennale Architettura Cities, Architecture and Society. Venezia: Ed. Fondazione La Biennale, Marsilio, pp. 193-197.
- Yerolympos A., Vitopoulou A. (2005). Zone planning. Attempts to restructure the modern Greek city during the interwar period. In Conference Proceedings Eleftherios Venizelos and the Greek City. Urban policies and socio-political rearrangements. Athens: National Research Foundation "Eleftherios K. Venizelos", School of Architecture NTUA, Technical Chamber of Greece, pp. 347-359.
- Colonas V., Vitopoulou A. (2005). Enjeux et outils de la protection du patrimoine récent en Grèce : de la conservation à la reconversion. In Abry R., Carabelli (eds.), Reconnaître et protéger l’architecture récente en Méditerranée. Paris: Ed. Maisonneuve et Larose, pp. 91-127.
- Vitopoulou Α., Yerolympos A. (2002). The planning of Thessaloniki university campus. The importance of a long-term planning. In Scientific Yearbook of the Thessaloniki History Centre of the Municipality of Thessaloniki, vol. 6. Thessaloniki: Thessaloniki History Centre, pp. 273-291 (in Greek).
- Vitopoulou Α. (2000). Land storage and “recycling” of military sites. Aspects of post-war urbanization of the Greek city and the example of Thessaloniki. In Defner A., Loukissas F., Marmaras M., Tsilenis S., Hastaoglou V. (eds.), Urban Planning in Greece from 1949 to 1974, Proceedings of the 2nd Panhellenic Scientific Conference of the Society of Urban History and History of Urban Planning. Volos: University Press of Thessaly, pp. 167-189 (in Greek).
Link MODIP: https://qa.auth.gr/en/cv/avitopoulou
Urban design. Theories and practices of sustainable urban design and planning. Urban morphology and urban space transformations. Urban policies; planning and design mechanisms, tools and processes. Holistic approach of urban design through different scales; historical, environmental, socio-economic and political factors that co-shape the design process.