George Papakostas, (b.1949) is Professor of Architectural Design, School of Architecture, Faculty of Engineering, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki. He has been Scientific Associate in the Institute for Lightweight Structures at the University of Stuttgart (IL) obtaining the title of Spezialist fuer Leichte Flaechentragwerke, IL, University of Stuttgart. He has been a Visiting Researcher at the Faculty of Architecture at the Pratt Institute (Brooklyn, N. York) (1981-1982) and Visiting Professor at the Royal School of Architecture (Copenhagen, Denmark) (1990-1991).
His professional activity includes more than 120 architectural design projects and architectural competitions. Among them is the B’ Biennale of Young Artists of Mediterranean Countries installation project, Thessaloniki, (1986), the Municipal Theater of Kalamaria, Thessaloniki (1995-1997), the Civic Theater of Thessaloniki ¨Theatro Kipou¨ (1997), the Upgrading and Expansion of the Airport ¨Makedonia¨ of Thessaloniki (1997-2004), the Research Committee Building, “Red Building¨ University Campus, Aristotle University Thessaloniki (2010) , the 15th Biennale of Young Artists of Mediterranean Countries installation project Thessaloniki, (2011) and the Metro Station and the Archeological Site, Venizelou Street, Thessaloniki (2012).
He has been Director of the 1st Department of Architectural Composition and Visual Arts of our School (2005-2009) and he has been the Head of the School of Architecture, Faculty of Engineering, Aristotle University Thessaloniki, Greece. (2009-2013)
His architectural research includes 42 scientific articles published in Greece and abroad, and his architectural work is published in 68 Greek and international architectural bulletins.